Saturday, May 23, 2009

Happy Dumpling Festival...

Of course I know, it’s a bit too early for dumpling festival right? But I definitely know that it is just around the corner… I’ve made some research, and for your information, dumpling festival for the year 2009 falls on 28th of May, it’s a Thursday! Dumpling festival which also known as Dragon boat festival or 端午节 in Chinese, is celebrated in honour of Qu Yuan, an ancient Chinese poet, bla bla bla… I don’t really remember the story, but who cares la right, for me, I just interested with dumplings…^^

Talk about making dumplings, haha, of course it’s the time for my mum to flaunt her culinary skills again!

First, let me introduce the ingredients used in making dumplings…



From the left, some-kind-of beans, mushrooms, sliced curry chicken and glutinous rice…
P/S: Kindly ignores the little foot in front of the rice pot. That belongs to my mum!



Last but not least, the dumpling leaves…

Next, procedures of making dumplings:



1. First, get a dumpling leaf and make sure that there is no hole or crack on the surface of it.



2. Fold the leaf and shape it like a funnel.



3. Fill up the funnel-shaped dumpling leaf with the ingredients.



4. Now this is the most difficult part, you have to hold on the dumpling with a tenacious grip and fold the leaf covering the ingredients firmly.

5. Last step, tie the dumpling up with the string, according to mum, the string is actually a kind of seaweed.

Taddaa… Done! We’ll have to cook the dumplings for about 2 hours before they are edible...
Proudly present, my sifu!


Undeniably, she is good, she has a pair of deft hand which can produce perfect dumplings… I always thought that bigger hands make everything easier, but I was wrong, I can’t even make a dumpling after the lucid lesson taught by my mum… The dumpling just collapsed in the end, very saddening but I have to admit that I really don’t have the aptitude for making dumplings... :(